Brisbane vocalist Cate Shaw's singing talent masters a fresh combination of Latin style, a serving of contemporary, a little jazz and a pinch of blues.
Cate has been singing all her life in a musical history started when she and brother Tom Fitzgerald broke into the local scene in Melbourne as a duo. At sixteen she was offered a part in the musical ‘Hair’ with Marcia Hines. Cate has performed/recorded with major International and Australian stars, including Rick Springfield, L.A. based producer Robbie Porter, and Molly Meldrum; and with some of Australia’s finest jazz musicians, performers of the callibre of Andrew Shaw, Dave Spicer, Dave Cotgreave, Jeremy O'Connor, John Reeves, Chris Poulsen, Josh Hatcher, Luke Glanville and Russell Bayne....
Cate's band Latin Blue was formed in 2005, a return performance soon followed the successful launch at the Sofitel Hotel. Their debut CD was recorded with Garry Smith of Pinkhouse Productions.
Cate performed both solo & with Latin Blue until they disbanded, at venues & events throughout Brisbane, including The Press Club, The Brisbane Sebel, The Bank, with Ian Maurice at The Samford Jazz Festival, at Maggie Black's Jazz Bar, Fête de la Musique, "Jazz on Sunday's" at The Ginger Factory, Yandina, and with Peter Vance at the Brisbane Jazz Club.
Cate's quintets/quartets/trios have all enjoyed great success
- A full house at the Brisbane Jazz Club on New Years Day 2010!
- Cate's introduction of “Jazz on a Sunday” at the Urban Hotel with her Quartet, quickly filled the house.
- In March the crowd waited in the Brisbane Mall in the pouring rain for Cate's show for the BBC - after hearing the sound check. They stayed to hear the second set. Too cool..!!!
- Cate's Duo Sunday gig with one of the best jazz pianists in town, Dave Spicer at the "Drift" Moët & Chandon piano lounge resulted in the lounge's best financial day ever - what a superb show.
- Hundreds filled the church for Cate's tribute to her favorite singer Peggy Lee. Cate recorded a live DVD of clips of this absolutely fabulous show.
Cate has recorded as a session singer for Armstrong's Studios, for television pop shows while working in Europe, and with Radio National and ABC FM radio for the ABC Sydney, her voice features in various radio serials.
Cate featured in the vocals of 'Shower Songs', a sound art work created for ABC Radio National. The successful combination that began Cate's career reunited in 2008, with Thomas Fitzgerald, producing Cate's recording of a vocal version of one of his compositions 'Chika'. Cate's version of Chika recently won a “Highly Commended Judges Award” in the national song competition “Musicoz”. The song is available on iTunes and CD Baby. '3 days' featuring vocals by Cate was part of the ABC Radio National program "Peggy's Hothouse" in 2009.
From live performances at Concerts and Festivals to the studio, Cate Shaw is fast gaining recognition as one of Australia’s popular singers.
Cate is available for bookings for corporate and private functions.